Thursday, October 25, 2012

October 23 & 24

Tuesday, October 23 - Dave was in the hospital still within the ICU department since they didn't have any beds and they needed to keep an eye on the swelling. He slept most of the day while at the hospital. He didn't say much but he would wake up to eat (very little) and to do therapy. I also had to learn how to change his neck brace. How nerve racking but I think I got it down. Tuesday night Dave's Dad, step mom Rose and one of his best friends Jer were at the hospital and came to the house after he was released. Rose helped a lot. She helped me understand what jibberish the doctors were talking and she made a few meals to get us started. Dave pretty much slept the whole time and was mobile only to move from the couch to the bedroom. When we got him in bed I brought over his toothbrush and paste. That itself is a process since you have to relearn and do things differently. Instead of bending over a sink you have to swish with one glass and spit in another. He was real dizzy at this time so I had to bring it to him in bed. He made the goal to want to brush his teeth standing in the bathroom the next day and to shower. 
  After that he had to carefully lower himself into bed by doing squats. After doing that he has to carefully lay down on his side and log roll to his back. I gave him a sponge bath and he asked me to put lotion on his feet. I'm not a foot person but this was the least I could do. Once he was down he wanted his phone. I gave it to him and after reading only part of his messages from family members, friends and co-workers he had a moment of feeling he let everyone down. I feel I have been strong and haven't cried at all in front of him but when he said that it broke my heart. I keep telling him life happens to everyone and you let NO ONE DOWN and we need to be thankful that you are ok (for the most part). Reminding him that he fell from about 14', when he was originally 25' up and only having bruises and a broken neck was a blessing. On top of that he was sent home and any quick movement he could have been paralyzed or worse. Once given his prognosis he was originally told minimum of 3 months in a neck brace and possibly 6 months and maybe a halo or surgery. Looking at all that news it is ok to have a moment but after that he needed to be strong and to thank God since for the most part he was alright. He normally isn't like that but, as expected, he is going through a lot of emotions.

This is a tree climber and how they work their way up and down a tree.

Wednesday, October 24 - Today was much better than yesterday! Dave woke up in the morning did a little walking around the house, brushed his teeth by the sink and dressed himself (for the most part). He made some necessary phone calls for work and not long after that he started feeling tired again. I give him his muscle relaxers every 8 hours and pain pills every 4. He woke up for lunch and ate quite a bit of food. I have to cut up his food in small pieces and help feed him since it is difficult to see what is below him. He tells me he can do it but we he struggles a little without help and it gets a little messy but our dog, Kelby, doesn't mind. He wanted to try and not take his muscle relaxer at 6pm (the time he was schedule to take it) since he wanted to be awake for some of the Tigers game. Lindsey and Eric came over and cooked up a GREAT meal! They made vension bacon steak (I think the venison was the doe Dave shot last week), bacon poppers, mashed potatoes, corn and a pasta salad. This was a DREAM meal for Dave. It was so awesome of them to help and Lindsey even helped me clean up. After that we had to go back and get the climber down and his bow (the one Dave fell from). WOW!!!...After seeing how high up he was it hit me. That was so scary. Eric kept saying a tree climber is nothing but he can't fool me. Before he headed up the tree we (really I mean Eric) discovered the climber rope that straps the 2 pieces together so you aren't more than 3'-4' apart was broke and the pieces were really far about from each other, about 8' away from each other. Dave keeps piecing things together slowly and it is making more sense how and why he fell. This strap alone is another saftely devise (I guess). Eric shimmied his way up the tree and said it is easy. Pretty sure Lindsey and I didn't think it was or looked that easy. I wish I brought my phone out there to take a picutre of what I was looking at since that is when it really hit me. At that time I realized how THANKFUL and LUCKY we are he is alive and not paralyzed! Praise GOD!! Lindz and Eric left around 8pm and not long after that I get a phone call that a car that was approaching them from the other direction lost its tire and the tire came crashing into their Mustang at 55 miles per hour! I was so freaked getting that call from Eric but we were so thankful everyone was ok (minus the Stang). The other car had its tires rotated and the place didn't bolt them on tight! Wow what a HUGE and possibly deadly mistake. I'm so thankful they are ok. I hope all the drama and craziness is over for us, them and everyone else we know for awhile since I don't think we or anyone else can take any more. Overall, it was a better day minus the accident and the Tigers stinking the place up.

Lets hope for a 'W' tomorrow from the Tigers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment