Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Our Next Journey In Life

                    Please watch the video below before scrolling down!

* Helpful hints when watching the video: Click on the play button to watch the video. Make sure you have the volume on to listen. To make the video bigger hit the square like button on the bottom right hand side of the video once you are viewing it. Most likely an ad will pop up so when it does hit the little "X" within that ad since you will want to make sure you can read the captions in the video. To exit, hit the escape button to go back to the blog site. 

          Don't forget to scroll down AFTER watching the video to hear our story!

**If you don't see the video below (this might be because you are viewing it on your phone) click on the link below and it should take you to the video.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7aSXHH7VQZhanhiOGdGR21Ga28/edit?usp=sharing















Surprise! Dave and I are both very excited and nervous about our next journey in life as becoming new parents. The process has been a little nerve racking and emotional. Dave and I have been trying for a little while and we had no luck. We used different devices/methods to help assist us along the way. The next step was to see a doctor and they did some tests on me (Jen) and said all looked good and recommended for me to have a laparoscopy procedure done since they suspected that I had endometriosis. The chances of a woman getting pregnant off of this procedure is about 30%-40%. We were very hopefully that this procedure would work. 

It was only a matter of a few weeks later that I started to have a gut feeling we were pregnant even though we haven't taken a test.  The next week I decided to take a test to officially find out. I think I decided to put it off since after taking test after test and having it negative it starts to get to you and you start feeling pressure. We took one test at the beginning of the month and it was negative so could we really tell this soon? To my surprise after taking the first test the results popped up right away we were pregnant. I didn't believe the lines so I had to take another test that spelled it out to be sure. Well its official... we were! 




Now the fun part... telling Dave.
In the video you get to experience me telling Dave the exciting news (minus hearing us talk). I tried to plan everything out and hoped he would get the idea. I had to say the gift was from the neighbor since if I would have told him it was from me he probably would say to take it back (Mr. Frugal). Also, to clarify this video had to have music instead of hearing us talk due to the fact that Dave came home and turned on the Tigers game and wouldn't let me mute it, so that ruined my plan. Either way it will be fun to share with our family and friends how I told him and his reaction is completely what I would expect (up to him trying to high five me. He quickly turned that into a huge hug). 

After a few weeks of knowing things seemed to be going good besides the fact that my "morning" sickness was in full effect and really it wasn't just morning sickness it was more  morning, noon, and night. I kept thinking my sickness was a sign from God that all was ok. Around 6 1/2 weeks I started having some bleeding so I ended up calling the doctor and she had me come in for a visit. She said my cervix was closed and that things seemed good. She had me give blood to make sure my beta HCG levels were increasing and would follow up with me once she received the results. I received a call a few days later and they said all looked good. The bleeding still continued so of course I was still worried. I was training for a sprint triathlon and I was nervous to do any major working out and the doctor said to continue my training and just watch my heart rate. The following few weeks the bleeding still continued so I followed up with the doctor again and they had me come in for an emergency early ultrasound, blood test, and another visit. Dave and I were really nervous and we were preparing ourselves for the worst. We go into the ultrasound and the tech starts talking to us and than she says well there is your little nugget. It was so refreshing to see this little bean jumping around on the screen and to see good blood flow and a heartbeat at 156. Dave and I were so happy and shocked! Everything seemed to be progressing along well besides the bleeding and sickness. 

I had my original appointment with my doctor a few weeks after the ultrasound and they wanted to make sure I kept it. That appointment went good and she tried to get a heartbeat by the doppler but no luck. She wanted to wait another 2 weeks and had me come back in to meet another doctor and to get the heartbeat. I asked again if I should do my upcoming race and the doctor encouraged me to still do it and to just watch my heart-rate. I completed the race and really watched to make sure I wasn't overheating and paid close attention to what my body was telling me. I am so happy I still went through with it!

A few weeks after the race I had another appointment with my doctor and this one was to get the heartbeat. She looked and looked and even had to add more gel to my stomach. She started to mention that she might have to have us do an emergency ultrasound and almost 2 seconds after that we heard the magical sound the pitter patter of the baby's heart. It was one of the best sounds Dave and I have ever heard! What relief! Of course I started to tear up immediately and Dave was quite overwhelmed with happiness too! The doctor said we could start telling people but we decided to wait until our next appointment with our doctor on September 24, 2013 to hear the heartbeat one more time and to really start telling our family and friends! The only other concern the doctor had with that appointment is that I gain weight and not lose weight. She prescribed me special medication to help with my sickness and her goal for me when she sees me in 2 weeks is to gain 2 pounds! I never thought I would try to gain weight. I'm not taking the medicine and my sickness is starting to subside which makes me happy to feel normal again.

So overall, it has been an eventful first trimester and we are happy that it is done and over with! With most pregnant women they usually only have 1-2 visits with their doctor within the first trimester we had 5 which is not very common but so happy to say my pants are beginning to get tighter and I'm gaining a little weight! YAY!!!

I will be adding to this blog occasionally probably after each appointment and to keep family member and friends that might not see us as often updated on the progress! 

BTW...the word is slowly leaking out but we wanted to make sure we told our family and friends first before announcing it on facebook!


Thanks for sharing in this journey with us!
Love, 
Dave & Jen


2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to have words with you two. I'm sat at my desk at 730am crying my eyes out to your video! Such incredible, wonderful, news. So very happy for you guys and so exciting that we'll be sharing the experience together across the pond! Some things are just written in the stars! Much much love Nikxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim and I are so very happy for you. We can't wait to see your new addition. Tears were certainly streaming as I watched the video. We love you both!!

    ReplyDelete